Wednesday, December 7, 2011

"Merry Christmas...or not"

As I listen to the media and receive updates from the American Family Association I am saddened. First, I'm saddened by the fact that some stores and people elect to say, "Season's Greetings" instead of "Merry Christmas." I think it's odd to change what has been shared for years into some generic greeting. "Happy Holidays" is not much better. Why don't we say that on Valentine's Day?

Second, I feel that those who are making a huge deal about saying, "Merry Christmas" are missing the point of Christmas. This entire issue has been described as "The War on Christmas." When was Christmas supposed to be about war? When did it become a fight over what people say to each other? I prefer and will continue to say, "Merry Christmas," but I'm not going to push other people to say it if they don't believe or see things differently.

I'd rather make a difference on my own, in my own way. I'd rather say, "Merry Christmas" to those I come in contact with and go on with my life. The message of the birth of Christ is more than two simple words. It's a lifestyle. If we push two words on others which we feel they must say at Christmas we're missing the point. Sharing the gospel is telling others about Jesus, not telling others what they should and shouldn't say to each other. Does that make sense? I don't want to dread celebrating the birth of Christ each year because I'm worried about Wal-Mart or Target screaming "Happy Holidays, Season's Greetings" on huge banners at their stores. Am I nuts or what?

No comments:

Post a Comment