Sunday, September 11, 2011

I remember the day...9-11-2001

I awoke on this day and was getting ready for my day. I was still serving at my first church located in Pelican, LA. I preacher friend, Scott Arant, called me and said our nation was under attack. I did not believe him. I went to the television and turned it on. I saw the first building on fire. As time progressed and I realized that it did not look good it was time to take Susanne to the doctor for a check-up. I think we were to find out if our baby was a boy or a girl that day. I turned on the radio but my wife, who feels I overreact, did not want to listen to the news. When we got to Shreveport I turned on the radio to find out the Pentagon had been hit. I then got concerned. Something was definitely not right. The rest of the day, after returning home, I was glued to the television. I could not believe we had been hit. What a blow.

No longer were we safe. I was "afeared" that more horrible acts would take place and still am not too sure we are as safe as we need to be.

Later, around June of 2002, I went with a team of Southern Baptist Disaster Relief workers to New York's Staten Island. We fed the workers. What where they doing? They were going though the remains of the World Trade Center. There were smoke filled BMW's and other luxury cars that were toast. They were just put in a fenced-in area.

Today it seems as if it was all a dream. We visited Ground Zero. It overwhelmed me. A ramp had been built that allowed one to look over into the pit. Along the railing were home made signs remembering those who died. It was very difficult to look at.

I shall never forget that day or the days in New York. They were days when I realized that only God can protect us.

No comments:

Post a Comment